Thursday, December 04, 2008

Why Twilight is hurting America



Last night was date night. My husband and I decided to have dinner and watch a movie - just a fun way to break up the work week. Over Thanksgiving, my 13-year old niece had ordered me to go see Twilight because “It’s awesome” and “Edward is hot.” So, I figured I’d keep my promise and go see it. From what I had heard, this was a teen vampire movie consisting mainly of the lead characters looking meaningfully at each other and brooding about their immortality or lack thereof. And everyone knows, mocking a silly movie is one of the foundations of an excellent date night.

The next thing I knew, it was 11 p.m. and I was so pissed off I couldn’t get to sleep without writing this. This movie is just plain evil. And not because of the vampires. Let me explain. And yes, there are spoilers. Sorry. Meet me after the fold for all the blood-sucking fun. Or maybe just sucking…

For those of you living under a rock or not in the presence of pre-teen girls for the past few months, Twilight is the latest series of fantasy books. It centers around a teenage vampire who falls in love with a human girl in high school. Stephenie Meyer, the author, is being hailed as the next J.K. Rowling. Now, I haven’t read the books so this review is based solely on the first movie. Here we go.

0 comments:

 

Followers